Lungworm - Important information for dog owners
There have been a number of reported cases of lungworm as local as Little Chalfont, Chesham, Chalfont St. Peter and Beaconsfield and as many as nearly 1500 within a 50 mile radius.
Lungworm can be extremely harmful and in some case fatal to dogs. Lungworm is a parasite that is most commonly transferred to dogs when playing with and/or when they snack on the delights of slugs, snails carrying the lungworm larvae! Frogs can also be carries and the lungworm larvae can potentially be picked up in slime trails. Lungworm can’t be passed from dog to dog however, if your dog has been infected, larvae can be passed through the body and expelled through their poop.
It can be difficult to spot the signs however some symptoms to watch out for are:
- Weight Loss
- Difficulty breathing
- Change in appetite
- Issues with bleeding
If you suspect your dog may be infected contact your vet for treatment.
For details of exact locations of reported cases visit https://mypetandi.bayer.com/uk/lungworm-map/